Federal employees have turned to GoFundMe to raise extra money to pay their bills, after going nearly a month without a paycheck thanks to the government shutdown. Nearly 1,500 campaigns have been set up on the fundraising site under the “government shutdown” label. A legal expert says these online fundraisers might be illegal. Nearly 800,000 federal employees are either not working or working without pay thanks to the government shutdown that has now dragged on for nearly a month. To make ends meet, many of these employees have started GoFundMe campaigns to fundraise extra money for bills and rent. But that move might now prove to be illegal. Walter Shaub, the former director of the US Office of Government Ethics, told CNN that federal workers fundraising money online may be breaking a criminal law that prohibits payments in exchange for federal service. The law, CNN reported, is a part of the US Code that deals with the salaries paid to federal workers under a section called “Bribery Graft and Conflicts of Interest.” According to this law, federal employees aren’t allowed to supplement their salaries with other sources of income. Employees who do this may face up to five years in… Read full this story
- Bill of Sale - Legal Form Explained
- Paying Bills On Time To Build A Solid Credit History
- Tips For Paying Bills on Time
- The Government Shutdown Has Turned Yosemite National Park Into A Congested, Poop-Filled Mess
- 12 Different Ways Americans Pay the Government
- Paying Your Moral and Legal Obligations
- Good Credit is More Than Just Paying Bills on Time
- Is it Time to Make a Stand and Stop Paying Bills?
- Debt Relief Grant Loans - An Excellent Choice to Help You Consolidate and Pay Off Those Bills Now
- Legal Troubles Concerning Your Postcard Design and Copy
GoFundMe campaigns to help furloughed federal employees pay their bills during government shutdown may now be in legal trouble have 303 words, post on www.businessinsider.com.au at January 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.