BEIJING – China’s politically sensitive trade surplus with the United States surged to a record $323.3 billion in 2018 as a tariff battle with Washington intensified. Chinese customs data released Monday showed December exports to the U.S. contracted 3.5 percent compared with a year earlier, however, as President Donald Trump’s punitive tariffs hit in a fight over Chinese technology ambitions. Exports to the United States held up through 2018 despite Trump’s tariff increases as exporters rushed to fill orders. But forecasters say American orders are set to decline sharply. For the year, exports rose 11.3 percent to $478.4 billion while imports of American goods rose just 0.7 percent over 2017, reflecting the impact of Beijing’s retaliatory tariffs and encouragement to importers to buy more from other suppliers instead of the United States. China’s global exports rose 7.1 percent to $2.5 trillion in 2018, down from the 7.9 percent rate for 2017. Imports rose 12.9 percent to $2.1 trillion, down from the previous year’s 15.9 percent. The country’s global trade surplus was $352 billion. Trump has repeatedly expressed frustration with China’s yawning trade gap with the United States, and the latest data might fuel demands by hardliners in Washington to punish… Read full this story
- China's 2018 trade surplus with the US hits record high $323 billion even as the two countries remain locked in a trade war
- Australia shares gain on healthcare, financial stocks; NZ hits record high again
- Nifty & Nifty Bank hit record high: what should investors do now?
- S.Korea's state benefit for unemployed, job-seekers hits record high
- Services Account Deficit Hits Record High
- S.Korea's online shopping hits record high in October
- Google Piracy Hits Record High, Join Mark Zuckerberg’s Book Club [Tech News Digest]
- Cinema Attendance for February Hits Record High
- Disabled employment hits record high as bosses open their minds
- Housing markets surge across Australia as Sydney prices rise at their fastest speed in more than three decades - and look set to hit record highs in early 2020
China’s 2018 trade surplus with US hits record high $323B have 328 words, post on www.usatoday.com at January 13, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.