JASON Prince became the first Irish professional to achieve a 147 in competitive snooker. But it couldn’t prevent the Derryman from losing in the qualifying round of the British Open at the Norbreck Castle Hotel. Prince was 4-1 down against Liverpool’s Ian Brumby when he potted his first red in frame six. Fourteen reds, fourteen blacks and six colours later, Prince was £5,000 richer after achieving the 25th competitive maximum in history. Even so, the perfect break could not prevent the world number 39 Prince from losing to the Liverpudlian even though the Bogsider did bring the match to a deciding frame. The 28-year-old Derryman, who fired his first ever maximum in practice as a 16-year-old, eventually lost 5-4 in the final qualifying round of the £370,000 British Open at the Norbreck Castle Hotel. “The 14th red was probably the most important shot,” said Prince, who slammed it in from distance despite being forced to bridge awkwardly over the yellow. Full of confidence, Prince will join Dennis Taylor, Joe Swail and Terry Murphy in the Northern Ireland team at next week’s Nations Cup. STEVE Collins and Roy Jones are now expected to stage the fight boxing needs, in the United… Read full this story
- 2017 Irish Professional Golf Review
- Russian spy poisoning was a 'professional hit', experts say
- The Queen pictured driving a Jaguar days after Prince Philip announced his retirement
- Meghan Markle's ex shares chicken cooking video a day after Prince Harry reveals he proposed while 'trying' to roast one
- On this Day in the Irish News: January 6 1998
- Couple get engaged on Valentine's Day with £1,000 ring won in competition
- 'Totally tragic': 106 reindeer killed in 3 days in Norway after being hit by freight trains
- Irish households hit with six major price hikes in one day ahead of Christmas – as broadband and energy costs all on the up
- Britain to be warmer than Istanbul on Christmas Day as temperatures set to hit a balmy 12C – but it won’t last
- Four Irish takeaways hit with closure orders in October by food safety chiefs – was your favourite shut down?
Back in the day- Jason Prince first Irish professional to hit 147 in competitive snooker have 349 words, post on www.irishnews.com at January 13, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.