The American Dialect Society named “tender-age shelter” the 2018 “Word of the Year.” The term was used by the US government to describe facilities designed to house babies and young children who have been separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border, due to changes in the Trump administration’s immigration policy. In related votes, “wall” was named “Political Word of the Year” and “techlash” the “Digital Word of the Year.” One of the Trump administration’s most-controversial policies has resulted in 2018’s “Word of the Year.” A group of almost 300 linguists and word experts chose “tender-age shelter” as 2018’s word of the year at the American Dialect Society‘s annual conference on Friday. “The use of highly euphemistic language to paper over the human effects of family separation was indication of how words in 2018 could be weaponised for political necessity,” Ben Zimmer, chair of the American Dialect Society’s new words committee. The vote, held this year in New York City, aims to crown the word or phrase that defined the year and saw widespread or innovative usage. The Trump administration set up multiple “tender-age” facilities over the summer to detain thousands of babies and other young children separated from their… Read full this story
- Inside the Trump presidency: A mad king roams empty halls
- Credit Corporation declares dividend for 2018 fiscal year
- Iran leader says Trump presidency sign of US 'decline'
- On Trump, President Xi had no idea what was coming
- Come say hello: Trump invites Kim to spontaneous DMZ ‘summit’
- Regatta victory that was 23 years coming
- Donald Trump and Mike Pence: Tensions at the top
- 250,000 people due to take to streets to protest Trump visit
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accuses Trump of 'relying on racism'
- Trump and Xi Jinping reach deal at G20 to restart US-China talks
2018's 'Word of the Year' comes from one of the most tumultuous periods in Trump's presidency have 301 words, post on www.businessinsider.com.au at January 4, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.