Worldwide handset volumes declined 4.1 percent in 2018 to a total of 1.4 billion units shipped for the full year, according to research firm IDC, which sees a potential for further declines this year. “Globally the smartphone market is a mess right now,” said IDC analyst Ryan Reith. “Outside of a handful of high-growth markets like India, Indonesia, (South) Korea and Vietnam, we did not see a lot of positive activity in 2018.” Reith said the market has been hit by consumers waiting longer to replace their phones, frustration around the high cost of premium devices, and political and economic uncertainty. The Chinese market, which accounts for roughly 30 percent of smartphone sales, was especially hard hit with a 10 percent drop, according to IDC’s survey, which was released Wednesday. IDC said the top five smartphone makers have become stronger and now account for 69 percent of worldwide sales, up from 63 percent a year ago. Samsung remained the number one handset maker with a 20.8 percent share despite an eight percent sales slump for the year, IDC said. Apple managed to recapture the number two position with a 14.9 percent market share, moving ahead of Huawei at 14.7 percent,… Read full this story
- 2018 Champion Jamie Bond: “We’ve Probably had the Worst Year Ever”
- Duopoly Time: Apple And Samsung Combine For Almost 90 Percent Of 2012 Global Smartphone Market
- Will Apples Patent Victory Reshape The Smartphone Market?
- September Smartphone Market: Once Again The Apple-Android Show
- Smartphone Market: Android Plateaus But Google Near 100 Percent Audience Reach
- Ariana Grande Wins Billboard's Woman of the Year, Calls 2018 Best and Worst Year
- The Worst Year For Drug-Overdose Deaths — 2017
- Honda Malaysia sells 51k units in H1 2018 for 17.7% market share, retains non-national segment top spot
- 2019 Will be Worst Year for Measles in Twenty Years
- Ford F-150 Raptor Prices Jump For 2018 Model Year
2018 'worst year ever' for smartphone market: survey have 302 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 31, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.