Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Wade Roush December 27, 2018 Just because we have choices about technology doesn’t mean we always choose well. Walking in my neighborhood in East Cambridge one day, I stumbled across an obscure plaque put up by the Cambridge Historical Commission more than 40 years ago. I was astonished to learn that Cambridge had been home to one of the world’s first monorail systems — an experimental track in place from 1884 to 1894.It was envisioned as the prototype for a regional rapid transit system that would have made Boston into a kind of steampunk utopia. The city would have been criss-crossed by marvelous tubular trains that looked like they were designed by Captain Nemo. But we never got that version of Boston, because in 1887, the East Cambridge monorail project got abruptly. . . derailed.At any given moment in history, we humans have multiple futures to choose from. But the decisions we make can be messy, undemocratic, driven by greed and self-interest, and even downright corrupt. And so it was with the Cambridge monorail. Advertisement Today, there are only two US cities —… Read full this story
- Poverty is not an excuse for crime as morality is the biggest factor, claims Cambridge University study
- Cambridge Comedian Pens Viral Coronavirus Parody To Queen Classic
- Coronavirus outbreak: Cambridge announces new method of grading students for May/June 2020 exams
- Revealed: The Cambridge-educated millionaire's Buddhist daughter whose anti-Brexit play was funded by the EU and her close-up magician partner who both tried to sink Boris
- Cambridge issues new guidelines for evidence collection to help grade CIEs
- NHS hospital in Cambridge becomes first in the UK to use rapid new viral coronavirus tests which take just 90 minutes to produce a result
- War of the poses: It’s uncanny how often the Cambridges and Sussexes post on Instagram each day - almost as if it's a competition. So who’s winning?
- The 19 best photos from Princess Charlotte of Cambridge's royal birth
- Princess of Cambridge's announcement placed on easel at Buckingham Palace
- New Cambridge students to attend compulsory sexual consent workshops
The Cambridge monorail that wasn’t have 361 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at December 27, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.