Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE Dec. 28, 2018 / 12:35 PM GMT Sears, the 125-year-old retail icon, has 24 hours to survive. The employer of more than 68,000 filed for bankruptcy in October. Its last shot at survival is a $4.6 billion proposal put forward by its chairman, Eddie Lampert, to buy the company out of bankruptcy through his hedge fund, ESL Investments. ESL is the only party offering to buy Sears as a whole, people familiar with the situation told CNBC. Without that bid or another like it, liquidators will break the company up into pieces. But as Lampert stares down a deadline of Dec. 28 to submit his offer, he has neither submitted his bid, nor rounded up financing, said the people familiar with the situation. Should Lampert submit a bid, Sears’ advisors would have until Jan. 4 to decide whether he is a “qualified bidder.” Only then could ESL take part in an auction against liquidation bids on Jan. 14. The quickly approaching cutoff puts Sears the closest to death it has ever been. Should Lampert miss the deadline, it would put… Read full this story
- At 125 years old, The Denver Post is just getting started
- 7-year-old gets trapped in bathroom, survives on water for five days
- Disabled mother, 51, and her nine-year-old autistic son face a homeless Christmas after Hoover tumble dryer blaze destroyed their flat
- R Kelly's back-up singer 'saw him having sex with 15-year-old Aaliyah on his tour bus' documentary claims
- 'You're preying on small children': Mother confronts a man who 'followed her 13-year-old daughter and tried to convince her to get in his car'
- Three-year-old Kamille 'Cupcake' McKinney’s body had toxic levels of meth and a sedative when she was discovered in a dumpster 10 days after being abducted from a birthday party in Alabama
- White cop is charged with murder after shooting dead 28-year-old black woman in her own home during a wellness check
- Predator father who abducted a seven-year-old girl from a Westfield Kmart and molested her in nearby bushland set to be jailed
- 23-year-old woman set on fire after failed rape bid in Bihar's Muzaffarpur
- Sick baby waits 11 hours with no bed at same hospital where four-year-old boy was pictured sleeping on the floor
Sears, the 125-year-old retail icon, has 12 hours to survive have 383 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at December 28, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.