A California man on Monday begged the U.S. State Department to allow his wife into the country to see the couple’s reportedly dying 2-year-old son.
Ali Hassan, 22, is an American citizen who says his wife has been barred from the country due to the Trump administration’s travel ban, which restricts visa applicants from the Muslim-majority nations of Libya, Iran, Somalia, Syria and Yemen.
The child’s mother, 21-year-old Shaima Swileh, is a native of Yemen who lives in Egypt, according to the Council for American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), which is advocating on behalf of the family.
Hassan had brought the toddler, Abdullah, to the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland, California, a few months ago for treatment for a genetic brain condition.
According to CAIR, doctors have said that Abdullah cannot endure life support for much longer.
“My wife is calling me every day wanting to kiss and hold her son,” Hassan said at a tearful press conference Monday.
“For the one last time ― time’s running out. Please help us. I am here today for your support to help bring my family together for the one last time,” he said.
In a 5-4 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court voted in late June to uphold the travel ban, which was the Trump administration’s third attempt to crack down on immigration from select nations. Critics say the ban unfairly targets Muslims, while the measure’s supporters claim it strengthens national security.
Swileh has applied for a waiver in order to see her son, CAIR said.
Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.
- ‘You Are Leaving Us to Be Slaughtered’: Putting Out Trump’s Syria Fire
- Mother's Day in Jail - Charleston, SC
- Warrant issued after Scarborough hit-and-run injures baby, mother, grandmother
- Keys to the Jeep & a Scorned Mother ((Story Sixteen) ( "Voices Out of Saigon"))
- What Did I Ever Do To Old Man Winter and Mother Nature?
- Japan Travel - Rotary Group Study Exchange Goes to Japan, Article Ten
- The Pope a Prosperity Preacher and a Prophet Walk Into a Bar
- MLM Training - If You Think Network Marketing Is Hard
- Won't Someone Please Think of Microsoft?
- CS Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia
- High Fructose Corn Syrup - Big Business and the Little Man
- Beijing - Blogged - The Announcement
- Eleanor Roosevelt - The First Lady
- The Cookie Jar (Three Brothers and a Sister - West Fargo North Dakota)
- It's Fiji Time (Don't Worry, Be Happy)
- Breast Feeding is Best?
- Mum's the Word - Jane & Lou
- The Secret Powers Of Thanks (Honesty)
- Valentina (And the Violent One - A Short Story)
- Celebrate the Birth of a Baby with Gift Baskets
Mother Barred From Seeing Dying Toddler Due To Trump Travel Ban, Say Advocates have 483 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at December 18, 2018. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.