Delta Air Lines plans to offer direct flights next year between Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and Mexico City.
The move — subject to approval by the federal government — would connect the Twin Cities beginning June 8 with a key financial center in Latin America that is home to almost 9 million people.
“Mexico City is just the latest in a growing string of international destinations to which we’ve landed air service with the help of GREATER MSP and the MSP Regional Air Service Partnership,” said Metropolitan Airports Commission Executive Director and CEO Brian Ryks, in a press release.
Ryks noted recent announcements from the airline regarding service to Seoul, South Korea, and Dublin, Ireland.
“Mexico City is the most popular destination in Latin America lacking direct air service from MSP International Airport,” he said. “On average, 700 people a day travel from MSP to Mexico. This new service and the connections from Mexico City to destinations beyond will make travel between Minnesota and locations south of the border easier and more convenient.”
The airline will operate service to Mexico City daily using the 124-seat Airbus A319 aircraft. Flight DL451 will leave the Twin Cities at 8:50 a.m. each day and arrive in Mexico City at 1:01 p.m.
Delta Flight DL452 will depart Mexico City daily at 2 p.m. and arrive at MSP at 6:14 p.m.
In Mexico City, air travelers will be able to connect to 41 other destinations in Mexico and Latin America, due to Delta’s agreements with the AeroMexico airline.
Among Mexico City’s more famous attractions: the Metropolitan Cathedral and Frida Kahlo Museum. The National Palace presidential residence and the Palace of Fine Arts also are popular draws. And the Central University City Campus is a UNESCO World Heritage site featuring 20th century modernist architecture.
- Airline to offer direct flights from Tampa to Destin
- American Airlines offers direct flight from LA to Louisville
- American Airlines Now Offering Nonstop Flight From San Antonio to New York City
- Ivan Iricanin of Street Guys Hospitality Teams Up with Celebrated Chef Gerardo Vázquez Lugo of Nicos – Mexico City
- Looking at Mexico City through the lens of ‘Roma’
- HOTEL announces the signing of Hyatt Regency Insurgentes Mexico City
- Des Moines Airport loses direct flight to San Francisco International
- SDF Louisville-Los Angeles direct flight a win for Kentucky
- Here are the direct flights from Albany airport
- Allegiant offering new flights from Little Rock to Destin, Northwest Arkansas to Nashville