CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland’s baroque orchestra has been nominated for a 2019 Grammy Award.
On Friday, nominations for the 61st annual Grammy Awards were released, and on the list was “Songs of Orpheus,” a recent recording by tenor Karim Sulayman with Apollo’s Fire and conductor Jeannette Sorrell.
The album, released by Avie Records in April and featuring music by Monteverdi, Caccini, and others, was nominated in the Best Classical Solo Voice category. It is the first recording by Apollo’s Fire to receive a Grammy nomination.
The recording, produced locally by Erica Brenner, was inspired by the legend of Orpheus, the mythological poet-musician who attempts to retrieve his beloved Eurydice from Hades.
The character was famously depicted by Monteverdi in the opera, “L’Orfeo.” Apollo’s Fire presented a new production of that opera starring Sulayman in April, around the time of the album’s release.
“He believes every word he sings, but he also serves a higher power,” Sulayman said in conversation about Orpheus with the Plain Dealer. “Music is his true love. As artists, we all can relate to that experience.”
Winners will be announced February 10 at the 2019 Grammy Awards.
- Lady Gaga dazzles in strapless silver metallic gown as she arrives to Grammy Awards red carpet... after already winning two early Grammys AND a BAFTA
- Sam Smith, Beck Dominate Grammy Awards 2015
- Alicia Keys is red hot in plunging couture gown as she is joined by husband Swizz Beats before her hosting duties at the Grammy Awards
- Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney & All the Songwriters With 4 or More Grammy Nods for Song of the Year
- Six Fast Facts About Jill Scott Ahead of the Grammy Award Winner's 20th Anniversary Tour
- Taylor Swift delivers withering response to Kanye West's claim that HE made HER famous as she makes history with ANOTHER Best Album Grammys win - but not everyone in the audience is happy...
- How Kacey Musgraves’ Grammy Wins Give Country Radio a Choice to Make
- Will the Obamas Become the Second Presidential Couple With Matching Grammys?
- Surprising ACM Awards Snubs
- Michael Bublé, Taylor Swift & More Artists With the Most Consecutive Grammy Noms in Genre Album Categories
- How To Watch the Apple Music Awards Live Stream With Performance by Winner Billie Eilish
- Billie Eilish wins Global Artist of the Year at the inaugural Apple Music Awards while Lizzo and Lil Nas X are also honored
- Rita Ora makes a statement in feathered frock while Nicole Scherzinger and Ciara sizzle in racy LBDs at Clive Davis' Pre-Grammy Gala
- Mary J. Blige to Receive Lifetime Achievement Honor at 2019 BET Awards
- 2016 Emmy Nominations:
- Brit awards ask guests to wear white rose pins to support #MeToo
- Society of Composers & Lyricists Announces Nominees for Inaugural Film/TV Awards
- MAMA 2019 winners #BTSDaesangSweep and #BTSDaesangAllKill Trend As K-Pop Boy Band Dominates Top Awards
- Watch Donald Trump Get Bashed Over Immigration Policy at Latin Grammys
- Lady Gaga Talks Aunt's Sexual Assault During The Producers Guild Awards
Apollo’s Fire receives Grammy Award nomination for ‘Songs of Orpheus’ have 473 words, post on www.cleveland.com at December 7, 2018. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.