PUBLISHED: 07:23 08 November 2018 | UPDATED: 07:23 08 November 2018
The Cove restaurant at Marine Lake.
Weston RNLI believes its plans to convert a restaurant into a new lifeboat station is progressing well.
It is six months since the Mercury revealed the lifesaving charity’s ambition to open a station at the Cove, by Marine Lake.
In the spring there were concerns over legal hurdles, but the RNLI says its plans are ‘beginning to take shape’.
John Deas, head of external construction and refit at the RNLI, said: “We’re delighted that plans for the conversion of the Cove into the new lifeboat station are progressing.”
Weston RNLI wants to convert the building so as to provide an area for visitors, along with storage room, changing facilities, offices and a training centre for new recruits.
The charity has been without a permanent home since leaving Birnbeck Pier.
The dilapidated walkway was considered too dangerous for crews to use in 2013.
A temporary base near Knightstone Causeway has been used in recent years to ensure public safety is maintained.
Weston RNLI began searching for a suitable location to move to back in 2007. Over the years, 14 locations have been considered.
In April, the RNLI said the Crazy Hills golf course was a secondary option, but this week it revealed the Cove idea was coming together well.
Five years ago Weston RNLI began trying to raise £300,000 to pay for the new lifeboat station, but donations tailed off last year due to a seeming lack of progress with the project.
Mr Deas added: “North Somerset Council has agreed to extend our current lease on the area of the promenade land at Marine Lake Plaza.
“This means we can continue to store, and launch and recover the lifeboats from here while we gain the necessary consents and go through the process to convert the Cove into a lifeboat station.
“In the meantime we will focus our efforts on moving our volunteer crew and officials out of the temporary accommodation they have been in for four years as soon as possible and into a dry, warm building with appropriate changing, training and meeting facilities.”
- These New Year plan memes aren’t just relatable but totally hilarious too!
- Could MoviePass be saved? Beleaguered discount ticket firm to raise prices and launch three new subscription plans in January
- Reliance Jio’s new tariff plans with extra IUC to push up ARPU
- Reliance Jio Fiber vs Airtel Xstream Fiber: New data plans, prices compared
- AT&T's unveils three new 'unlimited' plans, offering up to 100GB of unthrottled data
- BSNL launches three new prepaid plans worth Rs 97, Rs 365 and Rs 997
- Sacramento City School District Works With Labor Partners To Roll Out New Budget Plan
- Here's why Amrita Singh is not happy about Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan’s New Year plans
- New Zealand plans to tighten gun laws in wake of Christchurch massacre
- Brexit: New UK plan for Northern Ireland to stay in single market