Democratic leaders in California and Washington joined Thursday in a renewed call for national action to stem the flood of mass shootings, hours after an attacker with a handgun killed 12 people in a Southern California bar. The massacre and others like it can’t continue to be seen as just something that happens, Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom said Thursday in San Francisco. “It’s a gun culture,” he said. “You can’t go to a bar or a nightclub? You can’t go to church or a synagogue? It’s insane, and that’s the only way to describe it. It’s been normalized.” Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who saw a landmark assault weapons ban she pushed through Congress in 1994 expire 10 years later because of Republican opposition to a renewal, called out her GOP colleagues. “We don’t know all the details of this latest shooting, but we do know how to start to reduce the frequency of these murders,” she said. “What we’re missing is Republican willpower to get it done.” Related Stories LocalBy Kevin FaganHow Gavin Newsom’s family tragedy led to ammo-control…PoliticsBy John WildermuthGun rights group goes after Feinstein, which won’t bother…US & WorldBy Carolyn LochheadFeinstein renews effort to ban assault weaponsBy Kevin FaganTraining… Read full this story
- Official: Gunman apparently stopped shooting to post online
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's made-up claims on shootings, tariffs
- Our SF: San Francisco becomes a vibrant, weird convention town
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's illusory claims of gains from tariffs
- Whatever happened to the hottest iPhone apps of 2009?
- A forgotten war technology could safely power Earth for millions of years. Here's why we aren't using it
- 5 charts that show how powerful the NRA is in the US
- Our favorite games of 2014, part one
- The Rise Of The Robots: What The Future Holds For The World’s Armies
- Barbara Bush, Southwest Airlines pilot, West explosion, Facebook, Dan Koller of Coppell, #BeGolden
Thousand Oaks shootings: Newsom blames ‘gun culture,’ Feinstein blasts GOP have 314 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.