“The demonstration was driven by groups using it for political purposes and by HTI friends,” Wiranto said after a dialogue with leaders of Islamic organizations at the Political, Legal and Security Affairs Coordinating Ministry (Menkopolham) Office in Jakarta, Friday.
For this reason, the former TNI commander reminded Muslims who were demonstrating to be careful and aware of hidden agendas.
Demonstrations that sometimes aim well at building a positive understanding, he said, can be driven by other groups for political purposes.
During this time, said Wiranto, the debate was still quite fierce about burning the flag from the point of view of the flag, considering the HTI flag and the point of view of the Tauhid flag.
The police have carried out judicial proceedings against the burners or flag bearers, but those acting in defence of tauhid have been held twice.
Now, even though the dialogue between the government and the leaders of Islamic organizations about the flag burning event in Garut reached an agreement and it is hoped there will be no commotion, he plans to hold dialogues and meetings regularly.
“I think a meeting like this will be held regularly, periodically so that our shared goodness, among both fellow Muslims and interfaith, will be maintained,” said Wiranto.
Reporting by Dyah Dwi Astuti
Editing by Eliswan, Bustanuddin
- Hashtag Defence: DeTweet
- Shoot zombies, build defences, ride mechs in 15 minutes of Metal Gear Survive multiplayer
- How Total War became a story-driven series without anybody noticing
- PM Modi meets Malaysian PM Mahathir in Russia
- Bloody Sunday inquiry: key findings
- Iran's president taunts America over 'desperate' sanctions before leaving for UN summit in New York - as Tehran announces joint military drills with Russia and China
- India, Saudi Arabia to hold first joint naval drills in early March
- 'Stay away!' Iran's President Rouhani issues chilling warning to the West to keep out of the Gulf as he parades nation's military hardware - including missiles which could reach US bases - after America sent reinforcements to the region
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint blueprint locations
- Bombardier: May 'bitterly disappointed' as US tariff puts jobs at risk