Share Tweet Share Email Comments Print ADVERTISEMENT Dr. Charles Joseph Hardin, who as Toledo Zoo veterinarian oversaw the well-being of about 3,000 animal patients and made history when the zoo successfully impregnated a chimp via artificial insemination, died Friday in Arbors at Oregon. He was 95. He had congestive heart failure, his daughter Susan Wood said. Dr. Charles Joseph Hardin is shown with a 10-month-old hand-raised camel. THE BLADE Enlarge | Buy This Image Dr. Hardin, a longtime Oregon resident, had 14 years of service as a veterinarian for the Toledo health department when he was chosen in July, 1966, to be veterinarian of the zoo, then operated by the city. He’d been a large-animal veterinarian in Millersburg, Ohio, and Oklahoma. The zoo housed animals of more than 500 species, many not native to northwest Ohio — or the continent — but he found commonalities. He once discovered what ailed an elephant based on cattle diseases he observed. The same treatment, though proportionately more of it, worked for the elephant, he told The Blade in 1969. “Many of the animals get the same kind of diseases, are treated with the same medicines, and respond the same to the treatment as… Read full this story
- Dr. Charles Rick named Interim Executive Director at Perpich
- The 10 Hottest Movie Dads of 2018
- The 10 Best Art Shows of 2018
- World Cup 2018: Paris Metro renames SIX stops in honour of winners – including the Deschamps Elysees
- Queen's Birthday Honours list 2018 in full - from famous names to Britain's unsung heroes
- Who is Strictly's Charles Venn? Find out everything you need to know
- Charles Manson's youngest follower relives escape after he raped her in caravan
- DR Congo: Internet, SMS shutdown threatens crediblity of election
- Why Did It Take So Long for the World to Recognize the Genius of Joseph Yoakum?
- Opinion: DR Congo goes to the polls, but Kabila intends to stay on
Dr. Charles Joseph Hardin (1923-2018) have 300 words, post on www.toledoblade.com at October 12, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.