Sections Skip to content Skip to site index Feature Daniel Mason, a 42-year-old practicing psychiatrist, spent 14 years writing his latest novel, his first about a doctor — and the costly mistakes he makes. Credit Credit Noel Spirandelli for The New York Times Supported by ByWyatt Mason Sept. 12, 2018 Late this spring, off a nondescript hallway in the Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences building at Stanford University, inside a small, windowless office — standing desk; sitting desk; bookcase; chair — the 42-year-old physician Daniel Mason revealed some unease about what we were doing. “I come from a tradition,” Mason said, in his swift, reassuring cadence, “in which some people go into the room without a ring on. So this kind of disclosure is deeply foreign to the kind of work that I do.” The tradition Mason was referring to is psychiatry; the room in question was the one in which a clinician would encounter distressed patients (in Mason’s case, the inpatient psychiatric unit of Stanford Hospital, where he works as a psychiatrist); the ring was a wedding band; and the kind of disclosure Mason had in mind was his having agreed to answer my questions — the third day of… Read full this story
- Happiness is a salty potato – and other life lessons from Russian literature
- Titian: His Life by Sheila Hale – review
- 'If only I'd been warned!' - writers choose books to give to their younger selves
- Kim Kardashian and Khloe confront Kourtney over her aversion for sharing her personal life on camera in new KUWTK teaser: 'That's our job'
- JACKSON: Thought San Francisco’s Quality Of Life Couldn’t Get Worse? Think Again
- Le Grand Meaulnes revisited
- KIBF stands to show books as popular as ever
- 'Akbar had no real love of his life'
- A life on the run
- Chetan Bhagat Gets Pirated Version Of His Own Book From Street Hawker: Viral Video
‘If This Book Is Not Expressing Everything, What Am I Doing With My Life?’ have 313 words, post on www.nytimes.com at September 12, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.