Ethel Jiang, provided by
Published 7:57 am CDT, Friday, September 14, 2018
- Nio, known as the Tesla of China, debuted for trading in the US on Wednesday.
- Shares surged 75% Thursday, despite Bernstein analyst Robin Zhu giving shares an “underperform” rating.
- Nio’s current $12 billion market cap could double in five years, according to Evercore ISI.
- Watch Nio trade in real time here.
Nio, known as the Tesla of China, could be worth double its current valuation in five years, according to analysts from Evercore ISI.
The stock had a disappointing debut on Wednesday. Nio priced shares at $6.26 apiece, the low end of its range, raising $1 billion. The electric-car maker had hoped to raise $1.8 billion.
And while shares fell 10% in their first day of trading, they soared 75% on Thursday — despite Bernstein analyst Robin Zhu assigning an “underperform” rating and saying he thanks a capital raise is coming in the next 12 to 18 months.
Those gains propelled Nio’s valuation to $12 billion. Wth investors looking further into Nio’s future and expecting the company to run Tesla’s playbook in China, Evercore ISI analysts did the math to see just how much room there is for the car maker to grow.
The research team says China could have 4 million electric vehicles in 2023 with Nio will likely grabbing around 13% of total market share and 42% of mid- and premium- electric vehicles. And the Tesla of China’s current $12 billion valuation could double by that time.
“Enterprise-Value/Revenue multiples for tech companies are 1-3x EV/Rev (TSLA traded 1.4-3.7x EV/fwd 3yr Rev between 2012 and 2015),” the team of Evercore ISI analysts led by Arndt Ellinghorst wrote in a note sent out to clients on Friday.
“The current $12 Billion valuation is likely discounting 250k cars sold in 2021, at~$50k/car, at 1.5x EV/Rev,” they added.
- Morgan Stanley says industrial companies will dominate the market going forward — here are the 8 stocks they love the most
- A fund manager who’s crushing nearly all of her peers breaks down 3 under-the-radar stocks driving her strong performance
- A Wall Street expert dispels a huge myth about the $5 trillion ETF market — and explains why tech employees are the big winners of the industry’s explosion
- When is an Attack Terrorism? When is it a Hate Crime? Media: Buzz 60
- The Clam That Lived For 507 Years Media: GeoBeats
- Metronome: The Future of Digital Economy Media: FYI News
- Charlotte Tilbury Is Launching A New Eyeshadow Palette Media: Wochit
- Harvard Scientist Says Wooly Mammoths Could Come Back to Life And Save The Arctic Media: Buzz 60
- Why Are There Holes In Swiss Cheese? Media: GeoBeats
- 1,500 Photos Combined to Make Stunning Northern Lights Timelapse Media: Storyful
- Debunked: Organic Foods Are Always More Healthy For You Media: Buzz 60
- Estonian War robots are put through their paces Media: Euronews
- Chinese State-Linked Media Criticizes Tesla China Factory
- Larry Ellison’s stake in Tesla is worth about $1 billion
- China Details Future Moon Plans, Including Polar Research Station
- Here’s why Tesla is at the Nürburgring, and why it’s important
- Here comes Tencent Music, China’s biggest streaming-music service
- Amazon has a ton of gaming deals happening today — here are the ones most worth your time
- LifeProof’s waterproof phone case is the only iPhone case I need — here’s why it’s worth the $90
- The Apple Watch is on sale for as much as $80 off for Black Friday — here are all the deals worth your time
- Here’s how graphene could make future electronics superfast
- The CEO of China’s largest electric car company compares Tesla to high fashion — and says his company is the ‘girl next door’