Nacho Monreal deserves to extend his stay at Arsenal beyond this season, according to boss Unai Emery.
Spain defender Monreal has started three Premier League matches under Emery, crucially scoring the equaliser to set up a maiden Arsenal win for the former Paris Saint-Germain coach as West Ham were beaten 3-1 last month.
The 32-year-old confirmed this week that he is in talks with the Emirates Stadium hierarchy and Emery is keen to keep his countryman aboard.
“First, I knew Nacho Monreal in Spain when he was playing in Osasuna and in Malaga,” he told a news conference ahead of Saturday’s trip to Newcastle United.
“After six years here, I came and I know him as a new Nacho Monreal. After two weeks, after two months and now, I can say that I am very happy with him because he is 32 years old but I think physically, with his performances with us in matches, he is playing with a very good level.
“The rest of that, for me, is very important. I think we need to find a new contract with him to stay with the Arsenal team.”
Following defeats against Manchester City and Chelsea to start the season, Arsenal made it back-to-back wins by seeing off West Ham and then Cardiff City 3-2 before the international break.
Emery now hopes to build some momentum ahead of a busy few weeks, with the Gunners’ Europa League campaign getting underway against Vorskla next Thursday.
“Our aim away at Newcastle on Saturday is to keep improving things and continue to create our idea, build up our spirit on the pitch individually and collectively, and it is clear this process is one process,” Emery added.
“Saturday is another step where we can do it. It will be difficult, but I want to continue [to show] our personality on the pitch, impose this personality on the opposition and to find the win.”
Topics you might be interested in:
Fetching more content…
Fetching more content…
- Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag 'under pressure' over board demands before Arsenal clash
- Bukayo Saka drops huge hint he WILL sign Arsenal deal despite £100m transfer interest from Man Utd, City and Liverpool
- China hands Putin major lifeline with NEW gas deal as Russia choked Europe's supply
- Aston Villa may be about to sign Douglas Luiz replacement to 'open door' for Arsenal deal
- EXCLUSIVE – Rep. Mike Waltz Calls Biden Admin ‘Beyond Insane’ for New Iran Deal, Praises Trump’s ‘Maximum Pressure’
- Mo Salah sparks scenes of joy as his close friends are seen celebrating new Liverpool deal
- Iran’s commitment to new nuclear deal ‘raises serious doubts
- Howard Webb to be offered new MLS deal in bid to fend off return to Premier League as refs’ chief
- Biden meddles in Brexit row again–Truss told to cave on new EU demand in trade deal threat
- Rea feels "indebted" to Kawasaki after signing new WSBK deal
- Back-to-school tablet deal: This 7-inch tablet is only $50 | Digital Trends
- Gibraltar chief forced to deny 'secret talks' on Brexit deal with Spain as mystery swirls
- Arsenal target Joachim Andersen puts Gunners on red alert with fresh transfer statement
- Arsenal 'revive interest' in ex-Unai Emery dream target as alternative to two stars
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang likes video slamming Arsenal transfer news amid Man Utd links
- Exclusive: Ainsley Maitland-Niles planning to leave Arsenal this summer
- Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta burns bridges with Aubameyang as Chelsea transfer edges closer
- Baffled Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta dismisses FFP concerns and makes transfer pledge
- Arsenal turning to Fabio Vieira's agent to help them land 'expensive player they want'
- Gabriel Jesus enjoys dream Arsenal home debut to compound Leicester's woes
Emery demands new Arsenal deal for Monreal have 595 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at September 13, 2018. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.