Justin Rogers The Detroit News
Published 2:42 PM EDT Sep 12, 2018
Allen Park – The Detroit Lions have parted ways with Zach Zenner, waiving the running back off injured reserve.
Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2015, Zenner quickly became a fan favorite after a strong preseason. In three seasons, Zenner carried the ball 119 times for 420 yards and five touchdowns. He added another 207 yards on 20 receptions.
In addition to carrying the ball, Zenner was a key contributor on special teams. Off the field, he continued to keep post-career aspirations of working in medicine active by volunteering on various medical research projects during the offseason.
Zenner suffered a back injury in the preseason finale and was placed on injured reserve. By releasing him, the Lions are giving him an opportunity to play again this season, with another team.
More: Detroit News NFL picks: Week 2
- Detroit Lions host Iowa TE Noah Fant, a first-round prospect, on pre-draft visit
- Detroit Lions NFL Draft prospect: Mississippi State EDGE Montez Sweat
- Detroit Lions RB Ameer Abdullah: I can handle goal-line carries
- Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini questions whether Detroit Lions faked injuries to win
- New York Giants survive lackluster performance to beat Detroit Lions 28-20, win third straight
- Twenty times a charm! Detroit Lions beat Washington Redskins to end epic 19-game losing streak
- Aaron Rogers throws three TDs as Green Bay Packers beat Detroit Lions in Thanksgiving rout
- ABC analyst: Even Detroit Lions' odds are better than Donald Trump's
- Detroit Lions pick Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye in fifth round
- Here's how the Detroit Lions have drafted in the past 20 years