HCM City (VNA) – The Consulate General of Switzerland in Ho Chi Minh City on August 1 organised a reception to mark the 727th anniversary of Swiss National Day (August 1).
On behalf of the municipal authority, Vice Chairman of the People’s Committee Huynh Cach Mang extended congratulations to the European country, stressing that Switzerland is one of the very first western nations to set up diplomatic ties with Vietnam.
The bilateral relations have enjoyed sound developments, particularly in trade and investment collaboration, he said, adding that both sides enjoy huge potential for further cooperation.
He underlined that Switzerland is an important investor in Ho Chi Minh City, with 72 projects valued at 604 million USD, saying that direct flights connecting Ho Chi Minh City and Zurich, which is scheduled to commence in the end of this year, will bolster delegation exchange, tourism, and trade between the two sides.
Mang affirmed that the city always welcomes and creates favourable conditions for Swiss businesses and people to study, set up and carry out cooperative programmes in various sectors, contributing to developing the bilateral ties in a deep and effective manner.
Swiss Consul General Othmar Hardegger, for his part, took the occasion to recall the significance of Swiss National Day which helped turn country from a poor nation to a prosperous one.
He expressed his delights at the rosy development in the relations with Vietnam over the past 47 years since the establishment of bilaterlal diplomatic ties. In the recent past, high-level visits have created foundation to bolster cooperation in economy, investment, trade, aviation, education and training, and people diplomacy.
The diplomat thanked relevant authorities of the Vietnamese city for supporting Swiss citizens, businesses, and the Consulate General in increasing Switzerland’s presence in Vietnam. He said that it will enhance the bilateral ties and bring benefits to both nations.-VNA
- Vietnam’s National Day celebrated in Kuala Lumpur
- Earth Day Celebration at City Sprouts South
- HCM City – US ties to bear fruit: City official
- HCM City’s leader receives Chinese guest
- Philippines Independence Day celebrated in HCM City
- HCM City celebrates 45 years of Vietnam-Malaysia relations
- HCM City, Shanghai look to further cooperation
- HCM City marks 50 years of alliance of national, democratic, peace forces
- HCM City values Southeast Asia-Japan youth ship visit
- Experts call for high-speed HCM City