If you were lucky enough to dine at Noma, in Copenhagen, in 2011 – which had just been crowned as the “best restaurant in the world” – you might have been served one of its signature dishes: a single, raw, razor clam from the North Sea, in a foaming pool of aqueous parsley, topped with a dusting of horseradish snow. It was a technical and conceptual marvel intended to evoke the harsh Nordic coastline in winter. But almost more remarkable than the dish itself was the drink that accompanied it: a glass of cloudy, noticeably sour white wine from a virtually unknown vineyard in France’s Loire Valley, which was available at the time for about £8 a bottle. It was certainly an odd choice for a £300 menu. This was a so-called natural wine – made without any pesticides, chemicals or preservatives – the product of a movement that has triggered the biggest conflict in the world of wine for a generation. The rise of natural wine has seen these unusual bottles become a staple at many of the world’s most acclaimed restaurants – Noma, Mugaritz in San Sebastian, Hibiscus in London – championed by sommeliers who believe that traditional… Read full this story
- How to Exit a Bad Date
- Has a space age spa in Churchill's wine cellar really found the secret to longer life? FIONA GOLFAR has been feeling so under the weather she set aside her natural scepticism to find out
- A bad day with no wallet proved mobile payments aren't there yet
- The #IMomSoHard Universe of Spanx, Wine, and Swimsuits
- The girls’ team had the librarian from hell and chose wine-tasting over a safari. While the boys were so thick they lost the task. Your heart went out to Lord Sugar on The Apprentice, by Jim Shelley
- 'I Can't Get Over How Bad It Was': A Lisa Vanderpump Restaurant Crawl
- This Sous-Vide Wild Boar Stew is What You Need as Fall Approaches
- The World is melting, the world is melting....part three.
- A Long Way From Home
- Failing the Driving Test with Kevin Barry
Has wine gone bad? have 333 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 15, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.