The Scripps Research Institute is on the road to become financially independent within three to five years, the nonprofit biomedical institute’s CEO said last week.Peter G. Schultz outlined the progress toward that goal at a symposium at the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center. He discussed the scientific strategy used in research and how it is bearing fruit in partnerships and licensing to commercialize the technology.The institute is likely to announce new major partnerships in the next three to four months, he said.“We think this could be the beginning of the first self-sustaining model to fund research institutes, rather than simply asking for philanthropy or NIH (National Institutes of Health) dollars,” Schultz said. “In three to five years, we’re gonna be there where we actually show this works.” Nonprofits depend on philanthropy to fund their charitable endeavors. And TSRI faces financial pressure to raise more money for long-term stability. It has run deficits as high as $20 million in the last few years. In late 2017 Fitch Ratings downgraded $46 million of debt to A from A+.Difficulty in obtaining federal grants and philanthropic donations have made budget-balancing difficult, and not only for TSRI. So the institute has tightened its belt…. Read full this story
- Global Tourism Forum Andorra 2011 – debating future paths for sustained tourism growth.
- Free book outlines path to heart-healthy life
- Nashville SC CEO clears path for former Liverpool FC CEO Ian Ayre to take over, announces exit
- Adidas CEO Kasper Rorsted on sustainability and supply chain
- Title agency CEO wins leadership award
- Here's the best financial advice these 10 advisors ever received
- How Business School Financial Aid Works
- How Financial Planning Calculators Work
- Shelton financial firm helping newest advisors tackle their debt
- Belfast among the top cities in the UK for financial services
Scripps Research CEO outlines path to financial sustainability have 302 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at February 24, 2018. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.