Hounslow Council has promised to set aside more than £1 million in order to keep bobbies on the beat in the borough – despite budget cuts across the capital.
While Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has reminded Londoners of the real-terms cuts made to police funding in the capital, including £600 million worth of savings in recent years, Hounslow ‘s local authority has pledged to invest.
Hounslow Council reaffirmed an investment pledge of £1,149,000 to fund one police sergeant and nine constables for three years.
Councillor Hanif Khan, cabinet member for community protection and enforcement, said: “I’m extremely proud of our police force in Hounslow. They work tirelessly and passionately to tackle crime in our borough.
Police funding cuts
“However, a police force cannot operate efficiently without adequate required funding behind it,” Cllr Khan added.
“Recorded crime is rising in London and the capital faces many challenges including the ongoing threat of terrorism and a growing population to protect.
“As police funding across London takes a hit, here at Hounslow we are working to invest in what cannot be anything less than a priority.”
A third of Metropolitan Police staff posts have been lost – including two thirds of police community support officer posts, down from 4,607 to 1,591 – in addition to the closure of 114 police station front counters and 120 police buildings.
Sadiq Khan gave evidence to the Budget and Performance Committee on January 9, ahead of further budget considerations in the coming months before it is agreed on February 22.
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area
- MTA Approves Controversial Hiring Of 500 Additional Police Officers
- Efficiency of Baton Rouge Police Department studied amid discussions of police pay
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have at least SIX £100k-a-go taxpayer-funded protection officers in Canada
- Kate Middleton and Prince William guarded by 1,000 police officers’ ‘ring of steel’ in Pakistan for their ‘most complex’ tour ever
- Hawaii eyes even stricter gun laws in wake of shooting that killed 2 police officers
- SF police union cuts ties with former head over Facebook post about Jeff Adachi
- Reorganization of Baton Rouge Police Department could save money, help fund officer pay raises
- Boris Johnson: people swearing at police should expect to be arrested
- Centralising our police forces would be a terrible idea
- British police struggling to catch paedophiles because their 'computers are too slow'
- California schools may face cuts amid skyrocketing pension costs
- Sajid Javid tells police: 'I'm listening'
- Welsh police forces to bid for additional Tasers
- Boris Johnson slams Extinction Rebellion's 'nose-ringed crusties in hemp-smelling bivouacs' amid fury at police for failing to stop eco-mob shutting down swathes of London despite 321 arrests
- Prince Andrew faces losing armed guard as Home Office recommends major downgrade of security after Jeffrey Epstein scandal
- Egyptian Police Raid Turkish News Agency, Four Arrested amid Rising Tensions
- RBI easing helps top-rated bond funds buck credit crisis woes
- Prince Charles 'will fund Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new life out of his own investment income for a year' - but his friends warn the Sussexes this pot of cash is 'not inexhaustible'
- 'It's a very good day for Northern Ireland': Boris Johnson hails return of Stormont powersharing on visit to Belfast amid claims the UK government will pump another £2billion into province
- Lebanese Police Fire Tear Gas as Clashes With Protesters Resume in Beirut's Centre - Videos
£1m funding for more police officers in Hounslow amid cuts have 569 words, post on www.getwestlondon.co.uk at January 18, 2018. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.