CUNNING and corrupt, the woman known as the First Shopper schemed, spent and seduced her way to the very cusp of power.“Gucci” Grace Mugabe seemed destined to succeed her 93-year-old husband Robert as leader of Zimbabwe, having initially been hired as his secretary.That was until the tanks rolled through the capital Harare this week — a coup in all but name — to leave Mugabe, after 37 years of dominance, under house arrest and his wife rumoured to be fleeing to Namibia.After years of positioning herself as his successor, the 52-year-old appears to have let her despotic lust for power get the better of both her and her husband.Last week, her rival for the top job, former spy chief Emmerson “The Crocodile” Mnangagwa, was sacked as Vice-President by Mugabe. Gucci Grace said he was a snake whose head needed to be crushed.Mnangagwa, who has supporters in Zimbabwe’s security forces, vowed to return to lead a rebellion.To some, the tyrannical duo have got off lightly after plunging a fertile nation once known as the Breadbasket of Africa into bloodshed, hunger and poverty.Known as “DisGrace” to her many enemies, Mugabe’s wife has been accused of plundering her country’s diamonds to buy 3,000… Read full this story
- Zimbabwe’s Mugabe: from liberator to oppressor
- Obituary: Robert Mugabe
- Full schedule for Donald Trump's UK State Visit
- These are the celebrities who have passed away this year so far
- Which celebrities have passed away so far this year?
- The criminals put behind bars in Greater Manchester last month
- 50 foodie stays: The best pubs with rooms in England
- What’s On Listings 20-26 Jun
- What’s On Listings 13-19 June
- The tragic fates of Yorkshire's lost country houses
The lavish parties and £75,000 shopping bills of blood-soaked Zimbabwe’s First Lady, known as ‘Gucci Grace’ have 281 words, post on www.thesun.ie at November 15, 2017. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.