NEW research has revealed eating bogies may be good for your health.
Scientists at a number of prestigious universities including Harvard and MIT now say parents should not actively discourage their kids from picking their noses.
They claim ingesting bogies can be good for teeth, as well as overall health as they are packed with a “rich reservoir of good bacteria”.
According to the research, published in the journal of the American Society for Microbiology, not only can snot keep bacteria from sticking to teeth – it may also help the immune system fight back against respiratory infections, stomach ulcers and HIV.
The scientists are now in the process of creating a synthetic mucus toothpaste and chewing gum, in a bid to recreate the unbelievable benefits of bogies.
Writing in the journal, co-author Dr Scott Napper, who is professor of biochemistry at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, said: “Nature pushes us to do different things because it is to our advantage to have certain behaviours, to consume different types of foods.
“So maybe when you have an urge to pick your nose and eat it, you should just go with nature.
“From an evolutionary perspective, we evolved under very dirty conditions and maybe this desire to keep our environment and our behaviours sterile isn’t actually working to our advantage.”
And Austrian lung specialist Professor Friedrich Bischinger, who also helped author the report, said the study found people who pick their noses and eat what they find tend to be happier and healthier.
He explained: “Eating the dry remains of what you pull out is a great way of strengthening the body’s immune system.
“Medically it makes great sense and is a perfectly natural thing to do.
“In terms of the immune system, the nose is a filter in which a great deal of bacteria are collected, and when this mixture arrives in the intestines it works just like a medicine.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368.
- 7-year-old in good health, border agents said; then she died
- The Secret to Good Health May Be a Walk in the Park
- God Reveals He Occasionally Eats Humans
- 2018 Feel Good Health Stories
- Is this why you take fewer risks as you get older? Levels of a feel-good brain chemical diminish over the years
- Medicinal cannabis does NOT help treat depression, anxiety or ADHD, reveals review of 83 scientific studies
- Eating in 10-hour window can override disease-causing genetic defects, nurture health
- 5 Tricks to Burn Belly Fat and More – What the Research Really Shows
- Study: Eating Beef Jerky Might Be Linked to Manic Episodes in Some People
- 4 Secrets to Help Your Kids Eat More Fruit and Veggies
- The male infertility timebomb: One in ten men has problems fathering a child, so what are the disturbing reasons behind this growing health crisis?
- Looking North: Can A Single-Payer Health System Work In The U.S.?
Shock research reveals picking your nose and eating it may be GOOD for your health have 489 words, post on www.thesun.ie at May 5, 2017. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.