Steve Bannon in a meeting at Mar-a-Lago on Friday. Photo: Carlos Barria/Reuters Donald Trump’s surprise decision to launch missile strikes against Syrian president Bashar al-Assad’s forces in response to Tuesday’s horrific chemical attack represented a reversal from Trump’s noninterventionist campaign message. It’s also the most recent sign of the declining power of his chief strategist Stephen Bannon. Two sources close to Bannon told me the former Breitbart executive chairman argued against the strike — not because of its questionable constitutionality, but on the grounds that it doesn’t advance Trump’s America First doctrine. “Steve doesn’t think we belong there,” one Bannon ally told me. Bannon’s position lost out to those inside the White House, including Jared Kushner, who argued Trump needed to punish the Assad regime. The debate over Syria is the latest fault line that has opened up in the once close Bannon-Kushner relationship. “During the campaign and transition, they had an almost uncle-nephew thing going,” one Bannon associate said. But in recent weeks, Kushner and Bannon have clashed over the direction of Trump’s agenda. While the press has covered it as a personality feud, Bannon allies say the rift is about policy differences. “The press is calling it fighting,… Read full this story
- Bill Maher Sucked Up to Breitbart, Now He’s Slamming Steve Bannon
- Steve Bannon, Trump’s Top Guy, Told Me He Was ‘a Leninist’
- Trump says he will sign executive order temporarily banning immigration
- Steve Bannon Out as White House Chief Strategist (UPDATE)
- Darrell Hammond Says Steve Bannon Never Called Him About 'SNL' Portrayal
- Steve Bannon blasts China's response to coronavirus: 'They’ve got to be confronted'
- Evan Rachel Wood Responds to Steve Bannon 'Dumb as Ticks' Comments
- Trump says he will sign executive order temporarily suspending immigration into US
- Donald Trump Says He Will Sign Executive Order To Suspend Immigration To U.S.
- Trump says he will sign executive order halting immigration on Wednesday
Trump’s Syria Strike Is Latest Sign of Steve Bannon’s Waning Influence have 335 words, post on nymag.com at April 7, 2017. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.