Viet Nam News HÀ NỘI – Nguyễn Tiến Thành a student from the Hanoi-Amsterdam High School was named as winner of the second annual student Writing Prize, a competition organised by American The Atlantic magazine and the College Board, a non-profit education organisation. Thành’s essay, inspired by The School of Athens – one of the most famous frescoes or murals by renowned Italian artist Raphael during the Renaissance – was selected for the prize among 2,000 entries from 44 countries in this year’s contest, which challenged students to do a close reading of a work of art that inspires them. Two dozen professors of composition and art history narrowed the field to 20 semifinalists, and a panel of judges from the College Board and the magazine made the final selection. The fresco, which was painted between 1509 and 1511 under the commission of Pope Julius II, depicted some of the most prominent thinkers and great minds of history such as Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Leonardo de Vinci and Michelangelo. In his essay, titled “Reading Raphael in Hanoi”, Thành not only pointed out that all the figures in the fresco share one thing in common – a quest to pursue knowledge and…
- Former LSU student, 21, is sentenced to five years in prison over hazing death of a Phi Delta Theta fraternity pledge who was forced to drink 190-proof liquor if he failed to recite the Greek alphabet properly
- Doodle for Google 2019 contest announced: Here’s how to participate
- Vietnamese students win six medals at international maths contest
- Could Labour voter fraud steal the election? How thousands of postal votes are handed en masse to polling stations and student housing is trawled for discarded registration cards
- PM writes to young woman fighting cancer
- Labour could write off student debts worth TENS OF BILLIONS suggests shadow chancellor John McDonnell as he confirms the party will SCRAP tuition fees if it wins the election
- Russian Team Wins, US Places 11th at ‘Battle of the Brains’
- Prize-winning pictures show a life revolving around coconuts
- What’s Ian Wright net worth, how old is he and who did the I’m a Celebrity 2019 contestant play for?
- Even When He Loses, Logan Paul Wins
Student from HN wins intl’ writing contest have 358 words, post on at August 17, 2016. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.