It had been previously rumored that Apple is replacing the headphone jack with a second speaker, but now it seems like it’s simply redesigning the microphone port to look like a speaker port, according to leaked schematics obtained by notorious gadgets leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer that were first spotted by MacRumors.
Hemmerstoffer also speculates that adding several holes to the microphone port serves only a cosmetic purpose. That way, the iPhone’s bottom edge could appear more symmetrical. It means that only one of the holes could serve as the microphone port, and the others have no function at all.
Indeed, the microphone port on the iPhone 6s is made up of only one hole.
A second speaker could have potentially filled in the space leftover by the allegedly missing headphone jack, but now it’s unclear what parts could fill in that space, as microphones on phones traditionally don’t take up as much space as a speaker.
We have no real way of knowing whether any of these leaks and rumors are true until Apple unveils the iPhone 7 during its Fall iPhone event, which is supposedly happening on September 7.
- LIVE: the best Apple deals Prime Day 2022
- LIVE:Prime Day comes to an end, but the Apple deals continue
- Does the Google Pixel 6a have a headphone jack? | Digital Trends
- Apple iPhone 12 review: A retro homage to the classic iPhone 4
- The Best Headphones And Earbuds To Make The World Your Concert Hall
- The Best FLAC Apps: Convert and Play FLAC Files on iPhone, iPad | Digital Trends
- Editorial: Why Apple ignores so much pundit innovation advice
- Best Sonos Deals (July 2022): The Ultimate UK Discounts On Sonos Speakers And Bundles
- How to live with Apple's absurdly over-complicated music features on Apple Watch
- Democrats Want to Outlaw Apple From Thinking Differently
- Review: Apple iPhone Bluetooth Headset
- Koss suing Apple over basic concept of wireless connection to headphones and speakers
- Apple iPhone 14 Pro vs iPhone X: Big differences you should expect
- macbook: MacBook Air M2 internal design leaked, packs a massive battery, new speaker placement and more
- I tried Apple’s amazing new MacBook Air BEFORE release – it’s got a stunning surprise
- First look: Hands-on with Apple's all new 12" MacBook with Retina display
- Apple’s 13-inch MacBook Pro M2 pre-orders start June 17
- Apple MacBook Pro 15-Inch (2016) Review
- Amazon Prime Day 2022: How to pick the right Apple Watch size for you
- High Resolution and 3D Interactive Mockup of Apple's Rumored 'iPad Mini', and Possible Physical Models and Parts
Apple is replacing the iPhone’s headphone jack with a speaker port — but there won’t be a speaker in it have 426 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at August 12, 2016. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.