“You don’t expect these things,” Jen Herbstritt says. “You don’t expect to go to work and not to come home. You don’t expect to go to school and not to come home, to be killed.”
Herbstritt’s older brother, Jeremy, was a a civil engineering student at Virginia Tech in 2007 when he and 31 others were killed by a shooter on campus.
Jen Herbstritt was interviewed by Al Jazeera about how to deal with grief when someone you love suddenly dies. The video addresses the families who were affected by othe San Bernardino shooting.
When Herbstritt first learned about her brother’s death, she says she was in complete shock. The week following his death, Herbstritt wished someone would tell her what to expect next, and what her life would be like without her brother in it. Ultimately, she realized no one can tell you those things; everyone mourns differently.
“I just wanted someone to tell me, ‘Jen, in six months, it’s going to be ok. You’re going to figure this out. You’re going to feel this way,’” Herbstritt says. “There’s no guidebook to grief.”
Since then, she has learned to live for her brother, and to do things he never got the chance to do.
Although seven years have passed sincer her brother died, Herbstritt says she continues to pay his cell phone bill so she can call his voicemail and hear his outgoing message. She’s afraid to forget what his voice sounded like.
“At seven years out, I know that there’s a way to survive the loss of a loved one. There’s a way to learn to live life a gain. It’s not going to be easy. It’s not going to be fun. It’s not going to be pleasant. It’s not going to be a joyride. But there’s a way to survive it.”
Here’s the interview, below:
What the sister of a Virginia Tech shooting victim says to grieving families who’ve also lost a loved one. https://t.co/oBFAkqHJpo
– America Tonight (@AmericaTonight) December 4, 2015
- Nicki Minaj's brother is sentenced to 25 years to life for repeatedly raping an 11-year-old child after his famous sister wrote a letter to judge on his behalf
- My sister died in the Iran plane shootdown
- Invasive or helpful? University using students’ phones to track if they are in class or not
- Dealmaster: All the Cyber Monday 2019 tech deals that are still hot
- Live-Streamed Broadway Shows? The Tech Was Easy, But Oh The Drama!
- 20 tips to make your mobile malware-proof after Saudi Prince ‘hacked’ Jeff Bezos’ phone
- The 11 cleverest tech ideas of 2019
- Murdered PC, 28, was a newlywed due to go on honeymoon next week: Family pay tribute to 'loveliest person you'll ever meet' after officer is 'dragged to his death' by car at scene of burglary
- Unabomber survivor explains why he forgave Ted Kaczynski, befriended domestic terrorist’s brother in doc
- Jonestown: 13 Things You Should Know About Cult Massacre
- Harvey Weinstein sent Sopranos actress a box of chocolate penises before he 'raped' her as court hears she said 'hope he has a job for me' when she heard he wanted her number just two months before she revealed the assault to Ronan Farrow
- EXCLUSIVE: Columbia University Found Him Guilty. But He’s Got Voice Recordings, And He’s Not Afraid
- Nicole Brown Simpson's Sister Tanya Remembers Her as a Down-to-Earth Mom: 'Her Kids Were Her Life'
- Nipsey Hussle's Sister Will Retain Custody of His 10-Year-Old Daughter Emani for Now: Report
- ‘Our voices are not being heard’: Colorado town a test case for California PFAS victims
- Fast & Furious 9 full trailer revealed! John Cena debuts as Vin Diesel's evil brother and they face off in EPIC car chases... while Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren get revved up too
- Teenage Girls And Beloved Coaches Were Among The 9 Victims Of The Helicopter Crash That Killed Kobe Bryant
- Is This the Best Voice in Rock Music Today?
- Critics' Conversation: Dazzling Docs and Diverse Voices Lift Sundance 2020
- Hear, hear: Amazon all set to take on Apple AirPods with its first-ever Alexa wearable
The sister of a 2007 Virginia Tech massacre victim still pays her brother’s phone bill to hear his voice have 673 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at December 4, 2015. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.