Throughout the country today, there is a deep, volatile and growing discontent among working people. Extreme economic inequality, a shrinking middle class and declining class mobility have created a sense that the American Dream no longer rings true. Here in New York, one of the most unequal cities in the world, the cost of living seems to increase endlessly while wages have stagnated for many. The grinding struggles of everyday New Yorkers illustrate the stark realities working people are facing everywhere. Some examples I’ve encountered through my work: Maria Ogueri, a hard-working nurse’s aide and single mother, was racked with anxiety about whether she would be able put her children through college so they would not be condemned to dead-end jobs. Ineshia Hart is a homecare worker who, despite her vital work with seniors and people with disabilities, makes just $10 an hour and has at times been forced to rely on food stamps to feed her family. Renee Wilkinson lives in fear that she and her four kids could be evicted from their apartment in a quickly gentrifying part of Brooklyn. The common thread that connects these women: They are all health-care workers who are members of our union…. Read full this story
- Calais after Brexit 'could be 10 times worse than Irish border'
- Question Time audience member blasts Tories for 'disregarding working class for decade'
- Democracy Dies When Labor Unions Do
- Labour staff GMB union branch votes to condemn response to Panorama
- How did UK end up voting to leave the European Union?
- Is Scotland finally set to bid farewell to the union?
- Hard Brexit Tories pressure May over customs union
- Independent Group: Who are the 3 Tory MPs who've quit their party to join new movement?
- The European Union needs reforming, not abandoning
- Rev. William Barber on the Political Power of Poor People: ‘We Have to Change Our Whole Narrative’
A broader, bolder union movement: Time to get more political have 306 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at September 6, 2015. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.