NEW DELHI — The Olympic Council of Asia has told India to submit its bid for New Delhi to host the 2019 Asian Games this week if it hopes to be considered to replace Hanoi after its withdrawal by the Vietnamese Government.
The continental body refused to extend the July 1 deadline for bids by 15 days as requested by the Indian Olympic Association due to an ”extreme shortage of time,” but agreed to wait for a few more days.
”Within this two-month period we need to establish the evaluation team that will visit the bidding cities and submit its report to the OCA executive board on 19th September,” the OCA said in a letter to IOA secretary Rajeev Mehta. ”However, if you are able to still submit the guarantees within the next couple of days, OCA is willing to consider IOA’s bid very positively.”
India’s bid was delayed after officials were unsure whether to apply in the wake of criticism of the organization of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, but decided to go ahead with the bid once it found the government open to the idea of hosting the games.
India held the inaugural staged of the Asian Games in 1951 and also the 1982 edition, both in New Delhi.
- Indian mixed relay team's Asian Games medal upgraded to gold
- Sardar Singh says India have realistic chance for medal in Tokyo Olympics
- Auto driver's daughter Rajwinder Kaur vies for maiden Senior India Cap; says Hockey is the only way out of poverty
- Indo-Pacific encouraged by India standing up to China: US NSC official
- Hockey India announces recommendations: Rani Rampal for Khel Ratna; Vandana, Monika, Harmanpreet for Arjuna
- Goalkeeper Savita says India women can make history in Tokyo
- 3rd T20I: Dhawan, Pant power India to a thrilling win over WI, clean sweep series - As it happened
- Sharks vs. Avalanche: PHT 2019 Stanley Cup Playoff preview
- EMISAT, India's spy satellite passes over Tibet to trace China's PLA positions at LAC
- Capitalising on Huawei's Loss, India's Jio, Airtel Expedite 5G Ecosystem Creation
- Incheon ready to showcase cream of Asian sports
- AIFF invites bids for new I-League clubs for the upcoming season
- Narasimha Rao can truly be called father of economic reforms in India: Manmohan Singh
- 'India can market itself better'
- Modi's India First angers Xi
- Apple's Taiwan suppliers, Samsung apply for India's smartphone scheme
- What are India's chances of a medal at Tokyo Games?
- WMCC conference sets stage for another round of India-China military commander talks
- Those questioning MS Dhoni's WC berth in Team India have no idea what they are talking about: Shane Warne
- Shortage of key coronavirus drug remdesivir fuels illegal market in India
OCA asks India to bid for 2019 Asian Games quickly have 425 words, post on www.foxsports.com at July 2, 2014. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.