advertisement advertisement advertisement I'm scared to death about the state of the American economy. advertisement advertisement For the first time since the measurement of U.S. business birth and death rates began, business closures are outpacing new business startups. Up until 2008, business startups outpaced business failures by about 100,000 per year. But, in the past six years, that number has reversed; we now have 70,000 more businesses dying than being born. Scary indeed, but I'm convinced we can reverse this course. We have enough entrepreneurial energy among America's youth to build an economy that will boom louder than any of our best runs in the past. Among U.S. students surveyed in 2012 in grades five to 12, 43% say they plan to start their own business. The problem is that there are very few people helping these students' entrepreneurial aspirations come true. A mere 7% say they are gaining real-world experience–internships, mentorships, or jobs–at a real business. And, our schools aren't yet operating as entrepreneurial talent developers. Despite this, I hold great hope for the future. Investing in entrepreneurs This is going to sound like blasphemy in a nation built on free enterprise, but I don't believe we have invested… Read full this story
- Teach for America is in Boise-area schools. Now it may expand to more Idaho communities
- Teacher-recruitment program in low gear
- In first year of Arkansas teacher-recruitment program, only 9 at work in poor schools
- This Frankfort teacher has just been named one of the top in the nation
- Indiana teachers unions want more, but would they walk out?
- Do the math: Teachers + health costs + insanity = we all lose
- Listen to Pod Save America recorded live Thurs. at Charleston Music Hall
- How a once-promising merit pay system led Denver teachers to the brink of a strike
- How Once-Promising Merit Pay System Led Denver Teachers to Brink of Strike
- Evelyn Patricia Terry: America’s Favor/Guests Who Came to Dinner (and Stayed!)
How Teachers And Mentors Will Save Entrepreneurship In America have 323 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at March 31, 2014. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.