advertisement advertisement advertisement How did a crash-test engineer with no business experience or knowledge of the toy industry turn a plastic device and a bag of rubber bands into Rainbow Loom, the super-hot kids’ craze and a multimillion-dollar business? advertisement advertisement The Invention Choon Ng, a Malaysian immigrant, wasn’t even thinking about entering the toy market. He simply wanted to share the experience of making bracelets out of rubber bands with his daughters. But his fingers were too big. Ng, who was employed as a crash-safety engineer for Nissan, went out to his garage workshop and made a device by pressing pushpins into a block of wood. With the aid of a hook, he could then make the bracelets. But when he showed his daughters the bracelets, they didn’t see the purpose of using of a device to make the same bracelets they could create by hand. So Ng went back to the workshop. He rejiggered the contraption by creating three rows of pushpins. By wrapping rubber bands around the pushpins in geometric patters and then pulling them off, he was able to create more elaborate rubber-band bracelets than his daughters could make by hand. “I thought, ‘Oh my God,… Read full this story
- Savvy DIY dad transforms skip bins into swimming pools - slashing the cost of the average inground pool by as much as $26,000
- 'Once my dad took me to football matches and now I'm taking him'
- Everything seemed perfect - then my dad took his own life
- Video app TikTok took phones by storm. The feds will see if it’s a security risk
- Kiev’s Battle of the Rainbow: Gays, Thugs, and a Soviet Monument
- Dad-of-two jailed for 'only feeding children Coca-Cola while spending benefits money on alcohol'
- Challenge Winner: Iron Shirts Quickly with a DIY Ironing Board
- Three sisters who killed mafia boss dad deny claims they invented story about 'sex attacks and beatings'
- Soldiers loyal to Yemen's former president storm Aden airport
- Is this McDonald's 'Minions' toy saying 'what the f*ck' or what?
How A DIY Dad Took The Toy World By Storm With Rainbow Loom have 346 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at August 21, 2013. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.