Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Joshua Rothman July 15, 2012 The Olympic Games are one of the world’s most uplifting spectacles. For 16 days, we’ll see something rare: Almost all the world’s nations in agreement, playing the same games by the same rules.It’s an inspiring, even utopian event. But, increasingly, it’s haunted by an unsettling possibility—that even as athletes from around the world are competing together, they may also be cheating together. At the highest levels of sports, doping is so widespread that, watching the sprinters or swimmers poised on the starting line, it’s hard not to wonder how many have used performance-enhancing drugs. From the Tour de France to the World Series, from the NFL to the NBA, our admiration for the world’s best athletes is increasingly undermined by a single, persistent question: Did they have illegal help, and, if so, how much?To the people in charge of regulating sports, doping has become a thorny enforcement problem: an arms race between increasingly sophisticated forms of cheating on the one hand, and better detection and punishment on the other. But beneath that, there’s an even thornier… Read full this story
- What I'm really thinking ... learning support
- Unbearable? What rival fans REALLY think of Liverpool winning the league
- 112 secret words your children might use online & what they mean
- Ewan MacKenna: 'Sky abandoning cycling is not the beginning of the end, it's the end of the beginning'
- Newshub Roundtable: Best (and worst) of world sport 2018
- Jamie Cooke interview: 'I couldn't believe my legs were turning as fast as they were'
- Sport and the great escape from our troubled times
- Jon Jones criticised for response to female journalist: 'You suck. Do better journalism'
- The Irish running rivalry fuelled by hate: 'I needed that f****** resentment and bitterness. I love it. I get off on it'
- Why guys like Mitt Romney don’t scare Donald Trump
Just what’s wrong with doping? have 340 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at July 15, 2012. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.