In 2007, when Washington Post blogger Ezra Klein founded Journolist, an online gathering place for several hundred liberal journalists, academics and political activists, he imagined a discussion group that would connect young writers to top sources.
But in the heat of a bitter presidential campaign in 2008, the list's discussions veered into collusion and coordination at key political moments, documents revealed this week by The Daily Caller show.
In a key episode, Journolist members openly plotted to bury attention on then-candidate Barack Obama's controversial pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. The Washington Independent's Spencer Ackerman, for instance, suggested an effective tactic to distract from the issue would be to pick one of Obama's critics, "Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists."
Conservative critics of Washington's journalistic establishment have long charged the media with a striking liberal bias. But those critics have also said the problem was mostly unintentional, the result of a press corps made up mostly of Democratic-leaning scribes.
Yet Journolist's discussions show an influential left-wing faction of the media participating in a far more intentional sort of liberal bias.
Journolist's members included dozens of straight-news reporters from major news organizations, including Time, Newsweek, The Associated Press, Reuters, The Washington Post, The New York Times, Politico, Bloomberg, Huffington Post, PBS and a large NPR affiliate in California.
- MSNBC’s Kasie Hunt Claims Electing A Woman Would Fix ‘Character’ Issues In Politics
- Liberal Gladys Liu denies dirty tactics as she becomes first female Chinese-Australian MP
- Trump Campaign Says The Media Is Its ‘Biggest Obstacle’ In 2020
- Calling All Patriots: New Year, New Interviews — What Media Figures Do You Want Us To Sit Down With, And What Should We Ask?
- Flashback Friday: Where Were You The Night Trump Won The 2016 Election? Here’s What The Daily Caller Remembers From That Night
- Exclusive: Inside The Media Conspiracy To Hype Greta Thunberg
- Facebook Reveals Its Censorship Rules
- 'I'm pansexual': Lib Dem would-be leader Layla Moran reveals she is in a lesbian relationship - five years after leaving boyfriend who she admitted slapping
- Crooked Media Fights Trump With 'Pod Save America'
- Presidential campaign reveals that Slovakia is calling for change
- Did AOC just call Nancy racist? Freshman Democrat accuses Speaker Pelosi of 'singling out newly-elected women of color' and says she's 'outright disrespectful' as their bitter feud over tweeting escalates
- Donald Trump says liberals want to change Thanksgiving's name, insists he's making 'everyone rich' and slams heart attack claims by bragging about his 'gorgeous chest' during wild Florida rally
- In Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe's 'Daughter' Seeks to Reinvent Herself Ahead of 2018 Election
- President Donald Trump's reelection campaign launches website to help supporters win arguments against 'liberal snowflake' relatives during Christmas holiday
- Now Boris Johnson is overpowered by a runaway BULL as new poll reveals he will lose 9% support to Nigel Farage and could be left with no choice but to QUIT by Labour/SNP's plot to delay Brexit until after a November election
- Revealed: Facebook exposed identities of moderators to suspected terrorists
- Sadiq Khan Reads Mean Tweets About Himself Before Threatening MORE Hate Speech Laws at U.S. Liberal Festival
- Challenge against Liberal MPs claiming they used misleading Chinese signs to dupe voters is thrown out
- The big beasts who shaped the BBC
- Washington Post media critic slams Rachel Maddow, says liberal host 'rooted' for Steele dossier
The Fix was in: Journolist e-mails reveal how the liberal media shaped the 2008 election have 570 words, post on dailycaller.com at July 25, 2010. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.