SWIFTWATER, Pa. – The federal government originally promised 120 million doses of swine flu vaccine by now. Only 13 million have come through. As nervous Americans clamor for the vaccine, production is running several weeks behind schedule, and health officials blame the pressure on pharmaceutical companies to crank it out along with the ordinary flu vaccine, and a slow and antiquated process that relies on millions of chicken eggs. There have been other bottlenecks, too: Factories that put the precious liquid into syringes have become backed up. And the government itself ran into a delay in developing the tests required to assess each batch before it is cleared for use. What effect the delays will have on the course of the outbreak is unclear, in part because scientists cannot say with any certainty just how dangerous the virus is, how easily it spreads, or whether it will mutate into a more lethal form. “We’re in this race against the virus, and only Mother Nature knows how many cases are going to occur over the next six to 10 weeks,” said Michael Osterholm, a vaccine expert at the University of Minnesota. In the meantime, many states have had to postpone mass… Read full this story
- Swine Flu Vaccine Update - Who's at Risk?
- The Ultimate Protection Against Swine Flu - Vaccines
- 'I feel responsible' - Mother breaks down as she tells court she trusted State over swine flu vaccination
- No Swine Flu Vaccine? - Try Immune Boosting Foods and Other Strategies
- Government Intrusion Versus Natural Health Care, Swine Flu Vaccination Or Individual Responsibility
- Will You Be Denied the Swine Flu Shot?
- A Government's History That's Less Than Credible Regarding Swine Flu
- Swine Flu - Should I Be Scared?
- Swine Flu is a Very Real Threat to the World - Only Urgent Measures Can Help Contain It
- Swine Flu Precautionary and Prevention Steps
Production of swine flu vaccine is way behind: Government promised 120 million doses have 314 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 21, 2009. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.