Security experts have stressed the need for caution in the hype surrounding the FIFA Soccer World Cup, or fans searching for screensavers, spreadsheets and electronic wall charts could unwittingly download infected programs.
Paul Ducklin, head of global support for antivirus vendor Sophos, said in the run-up to the last World Cup in 1998, a Word 97 macro virus was spread that asked people to guess which team would win the World Cup. If they guessed wrong, based on a random selection chosen by the program, malicious code was triggered that had the potential to format the hard drive.
Similarly, during the last World Cup an Australian organisation was compromised by the Chernobyl virus, which got in on the back of a game where you kick a ball at a goal.
“People tend to let their guard down when something internationally exciting is going on,” Ducklin said, adding that this can lead to a resurgence in old viruses. “The more international the flavour of the event the more there’ll be people who want to share things with their buddies.”
“We advise people not to look for excuses to avoid best practice,” Ducklin said. “Being a 2 percent kill-joy may increase your protection 98 percent.”
Have your say instantly, and see what others have said. Go to the Security forum.
Let the editors know what you think in the Mailroom.
- Football World Cup Ticket Fever
- Qatar 2022: £40 a week to build the World Cup stadiums
- The USMNT Doesn't Deserve To Qualify For The World Cup
- Qatar World Cup workers’ rights to improve with end of kafala system, claims union
- Rugby World Cup Diary - Day 27
- Rugby World Cup: How Japan became a force to be reckoned with
- England 1 Argentina 2 - 1986 World Cup
- 3 Simple Tips to Prevent Cold Sore Outbreaks
- Philippines culls 7,000 pigs in outbreak of African swine fever
- South Korea uses snipers, drones to stop swine fever spreading from North Korea
- Malware on the Mac - Viruses, Spyware, Worms, and Other Digital Nasties Are Coming to the Mac
- Anti Spyware Anti Virus Protection Software Review
- Web Application Development - The Underlying Reason For Online Success
- The USMNT Lost The Gold Cup Final, And That's Probably OK
- Remove Viruses From Your Computer - Tips and Tricks
- The Key to Online Success - Good Web Application Development
- Is a Fever Blister Or Cold Sore Contagious?
- Swine Flu Fever
- How to Treat Fever Blisters
- NKorea seen as weak link in swine fever’s spread across Asia
World Cup fever could develop into virus outbreak have 415 words, post on www.zdnet.com at May 27, 2002. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.